Senior Examiner Of Patents
Job no: 494018
Location: Flexible Location
Categories: Legal, Science, Engineering, Technical
Division: Customer Services Div
Business Group: Patents Examination Group
Seeking suitable candidates to fill multiple ongoing and non-ongoing vacancies for the position of Senior Examiner of Patents at IP Australia across all five mechanical examination sections. The key competencies needed for this position are:
- effective leadership and management skills
- excellent communication skills
- personal resilience, judgement
- strategic thinking
- sound knowledge of legal and procedural concepts in the field of patent examination.
If you are interested in this position, please consider applying!
A Senior Examiner of Patents actively contributes to the management and leadership of an examination section under limited direction from the Supervising Examiner of Patents (EL2). The typical structure of an examination section may comprise 30 staff including a Supervising Examiner, 4 Senior Examiners and 25 Examiners with/without Acceptance Delegation. Each Senior Examiner will typically lead and directly manage a small team of staff, some of whom may require supervision through the relevant Competency Based Training program. Senior Examiners are expected to support senior management to execute and drive initiatives and projects, in order to deliver on strategic and operational priorities.
A Senior Examiner of Patents will contribute to the leadership and management of an examination section under limited direction, in order to deliver on strategic and operational priorities at all levels. Duties include:
- work collaboratively with the section management team to effectively lead and manage the operation and direction of the section and deliver the section's commitments
- managing and leading a team of patent examiners, including mentoring and developing staff, assessing staff performance, providing feedback, and encouraging staff to reach personal, section and corporate goals
- providing on the job patent examination training and coaching to trainee examiners and contributing to their competency-based assessment process
- reviewing and supervising examination work as part of the quality review process
To be successful in this role it is desirable to have:
- hold the Commissioner of Patents' Acceptance Delegation, or be able to demonstrate this can be achieved within 6 months of commencing in position
- have a demonstrated ability to examine technologies in the broad mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, or medical device fields and / or relevant qualifications in these relevant technology areas
- have a thorough knowledge of patent law and patent examination practice and processes and demonstrated judgement in its application.
For additional information please see the Position Profile below:
Position Profile -Senior Examiner of Patents-EL1-PEG.pdf
To discuss the position in more detail please contact Varun Malik on 02 62832611.
To apply for this position, you are asked to:
- frame your responses around the position specific duties and position specific capabilities of the role (as set out in the position profile), and provide:
- an explanation of how their skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (maximum of 500 words)
- details of two (2) professional achievements, within the last 5 years, that demonstrate their suitability for this role (maximum 500 words covering both achievements)
- provide a current CV detailing recent employment history which is relevant to the advertised position
- provide the name and contact details of two referees.
This recruitment process will be used to fill current vacancies, as well as future ongoing and non-ongoing vacancies that may arise over the next 12 months in various similar roles.
Applications close for this vacancy at 11.55 pm on the closing date of Tuesday 24 May 2022.
IP Australia acknowledges that those with diverse experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds enhance our workplace and our capability for innovation. Applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander People, People with Disability and LGBTIQA+ people are encouraged to apply for any advertised position, that they may be suitable for, within IP Australia.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend