IP Australia is a unique and innovative Australian Government Agency that works with Australians to help them protect their inventions, brands, designs, and plant varieties through the administration of patents, trademarks, designs, and plant breeder’s rights: their Intellectual Property (IP). We have a strong sense of purpose, ensuring Australians benefit from great ideas.
About our Innovation and Technology Group
The Innovation and Technology Group is an enabler to the Agency and is responsible for supporting the IT Strategy 2022; establishing the key technology platforms and supporting capabilities to increase business alignment; uplift technology and service delivery maturity and position IT for scalability.
ITG will support IP Australia’s vision by embracing contemporary and innovative technologies to deliver smart solutions and new approaches that cement IP Australia as a visionary in the Intellectual Property ecosystem.
About our Section
The Office of the CIO provides a centralised approach for the “business” of the Innovation Technology Group (ITG). This incorporates the Strategic Governance and Planning for the Group and covers a broad range of enabling agency services as well as supporting our people (as assets) through capability development. Together we support the delivery of robust, secure technology services through, ICT security, disaster recovery planning, ICT resource, asset & vendor management, license and maintenance management, architecture, and project assurance.
As the IT Specialist: Cyber Security Advisor, you will be responsible for the development and implementation of Information Security Policy and standards at IP Australia. You will ensure a risk managed and compliant ICT environment through a modern hybrid-cloud based cyber security strategy.
This is an exciting opportunity to take part in establishing an agency wide security governance framework in collaboration with the Agency Security Advisor, Governance, Risk & Compliance Officers, and a dedicated Cyber Security Operations team.
Some of the primary responsibilities of the role include:
- Managing the security posture of the organisation and provide strategic proposals, relevant to the capability and resourcing of IP Australia’s Information Technology Group.
- Working with the Essential 8 and IAM sprint teams to understand the threat landscape of our Agency and developing achievable actions to mitigate/harden our vulnerabilities.
- Document and analyse risks using the Information Security Manual (ISM) control framework and provide certification documentation (Systems Security Plan and Authority to Operate) for accreditation by the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO).
- Ensure comprehensive and PSPF compliant security documentation is established and maintained.
- Ensure a strategic and integrated approach to cyber-security practice and functions, with a focus on information management, staff development and risk-based decision making.
- Work collaboratively with a variety of internal Technology Domain Specialists in order to build Cyber Defensive capability.
- Maintain security by participating in and auditing systems to ensure compliance to standards, policies, and procedures.
- Undertake activities to develop knowledge and expertise in relation to professional skills.
We are looking for an enthusiastic person with a willingness to engage, communicate and collaborate with others to join our friendly team of IT professionals. You will need to have good interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, a demonstrated capability to learn new technologies quickly and the ability to take initiative and problem solve in a fast-paced environment. Equally importantly, we're looking for someone who shares our values and culture, who brings passion and positivity, and makes sure their team embodies the same culture.
To be successful in this role, you must have:
- An in-depth knowledge of Federal Government Cyber Security and ICT policies and frameworks
- A solid understanding of Regulatory requirements of Protective Service Policy Framework (PSPF) and IT Security Standards and controls of the Information Security Manual (ISM).
- Tertiary qualifications in information management, computer science, information systems, Cyber Security, or equivalent experience.
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) and / or Certified information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).
- Demonstrated capacity to provide timely, compelling, and concise advice to inform executive members and senior management to support decision making.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Negative Vetting 1 security clearance.
The following experience or skills would be well regarded:
- Information Security Registered Assessors Program (IRAP).
- SANS specific security training.
- Demonstrated experience in working collaboratively to achieve high performance and meet organisational and business outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience in risk management, policy, and strategy development.
- Demonstrated experience in a government context.
- Experience with hybrid-multi-cloud agency environments.
For additional information, please refer to the position profile. below:
Position Profile - IT Specialist Cyber Security Advisor EL1.pdf
To discuss the position in more detail please contact Debbie Percival on (02) 6283 2793.
To apply for this position, you are asked to:
- Frame your responses around the position specific duties and position specific capabilities of the role (as set out in the position profile), and provide:
- An explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (limited response between 300 and 500 words)
- Details of no more than two (2) professional achievements relevant to the ICT security industry, within the last 5 years, that demonstrate your suitability for this role (limited response between 300 and 500 words)
- Provide a current CV detailing recent employment history which is relevant to the advertised position.
- Provide evidence of qualification(s) relating to the position
- Provide the name and contact details of two referees.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you.